A home test is a kit that is bought online & delivered to your home, where you take your own sample. It is then picked up by us and sent to the lab for analysis. Within 5 days you receive your results by email in full privacy.
The omgyno home tests are available for people who are located in the Attica region in Greece.
All of our home tests require only vaginal fluid as a sample, with the exception of the urinalysis, which requires a urine sample.
We can assure you that it will not hurt! And if you follow the instructions, it is very safe. To take your sample you will use a soft flexible swab, which you insert 5cm (which is about half the size of your index finger) into the vaginal opening. You gently rub the swab against the walls of your vagina by turning it around for about 30 seconds and you're done!
A pap smear is a process where a gynecologist uses a speculum to open up the vagina, and in addition to taking a bit of vaginal fluid, they also scrape the cervix to retrieve cells for inspection. With a home test you just insert a swab and rub the walls of your vagina to retrieve fluid. No doctor, no speculums, no cervix scraping, and definitely no pain or discomfort. And yet, with the lab results you will have a clear understanding about the health of your vagina and any potential infections. Note: the collection of cells from the cervix is to determine if they are cancerous. The vaginal smear culture cannot determine if the patient has cervical cancer, however, the HPV test will determine the presence of high risk strains that are the main cause of cervical cancer.
- A person can take a home test for a general check up (especially if they are sexually active and have not been to the gynecologist for over a year), to ensure a healthy body and to feel safe and well.
- They may take a home test if they feel certain symptoms in the genital area like itching, swelling, redness, dryness, unusual smells or discharge, pain in the abdominal area, pain during sexual intercourse, pain when urinating, or bleeding between periods.
- They may opt for an HPV or STI13 home test if they have had unprotected sex and could be at risk of catching a sexually transmitted infection.
- A person may also take the HPV home test to ensure they have no high risk strains of HPV which lead to cervical cancer.
No, you do not need the doctor's prescription to take a home test. This service is here to support people on their journey to self-care.
Currently our lab partner is Helix Biolab, run by Dr Anna Lyberopoulou who has a PhD in molecular medicine. She will be analyzing your samples and sending you the results by email.
- When you order your test it should arrive to your door within 48 hours.
- To take your samples, it can take a few minutes.
- Once you're done, you book your sample pickup, and our courier arrives within 24hrs, and delivers your sample to the lab.
- You will receive your results by email within 5 days.
The four omgyno home tests
Vaginal Smear Culture
The vaginal smear culture is a home test that is the most commonly performed test at the gynecologist for a general check up. It is used to check for the vaginal flora (acidity), fungal and bacterial infections, as well as some sexually transmitted infections.
Vaginal Smear Culture + Urinalysis
In addition to the vaginal smear culture, this test includes a urine analysis that determines the quality of your urine and the presence of any infections. It also includes an antibiogram to check your body’s resistance to antibiotics.
Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
HPV is a very common virus that exists in about 75% of sexually active people. There are over 150 strains of HPV and we test for the 14 high-risk strains that may cause cervical cancer.
STI 13: Sexually Transmitted Infections
This home test checks for 13 of the most common sexually transmitted infections including Genital Herpes, Gonorrhea, Trichomoniasis, and others.
What's inside the kit?
- Form to be filled out and sent back with the samples
- Two dry STERILE R swabs
- One STUART swab with preservation gel
- Sodium Chloride 0.9% 5ml bottle
- Three stickers with a barcode
- Box for return shipping
- Black eco-bag for return shipping
- An instructions manual
An important note on privacy
- Our eco-packaging is discreet and anonymous
- Our partner bike courier company operates with specific discretion guidelines
- We use numeric ID’s to identify samples and lab results
- Only the certified person at the lab may check your personal data
- All online forms and lab results are password protected
- We do not store any of your lab results or communicate with 3rd parties
- We comply fully with GDPR and ask for your consent every step of the way
Frequently Asked Questions
It is best to take the home test at least 2 days after you finish your period.
Yes, you can take a home test while you are pregnant.
First of all, let's be clear that virginity is a social construct, and yes, you can definitely do the vaginal smear culture and the urinalysis home tests to check for any irregularities. However, as you have not been sexually active yet, the STI 13 test and the HPV test are not recommended.
There are many infections that do not have obvious symptoms, therefore it is important to keep a precautionary attitude. To view the symptoms associated with each home test, check the links for each service below.
The most common sexually transmitted infection is HPV, and you can do the home test that is specifically made to check for the high risk strains of this virus. The STI 13 test, can test for 13 other common STI's, click here to view the full list.
At omgyno we take all the measures to ensure full privacy. Your personal medical data will not be stored on our servers or shared with any 3rd parties.